| || || || |
ADVANTAGES OF PARABOLIC LEAF SPRINGS:
A parabolic spring is basically a leaf or a set of leaves which are tapered in a parabolic way rather than a linear.So from the middle,where leaf is thick,to the ends,where it is thinner,the tapering steps down in a parabolic manner.The tapering in a single leaf handles the force distribution from the vehicle to the axle and works better than conventional spring.The leaf spring is a vital link between the chassis and the axle of the vehicle.It has the additional role of absorbing and storing energy,and releasing it.It has a uniform stress prttern throughtout its length.As to efficiency,it is quite a few leaps ahead of the conventional leaf spring.
- Parabolic spring assembly contains less number of leaves as compared to Conventioal spring assembly but can carry equal load.
- Parabolic springs are suited for long drives,provide better ride comfort and control to the driver.
- Each leaf of parabolic assembly acts as a separate spring.
- In parabolic spring assembly all leaves are of full length carrying equal load as in conventional leaf spring assembly.
- There is a gap between parabolic leaves, which reduces the friction between the leaves and provides better ride comfort.
- The weight of parabolic assembly is lesser by 30% than the conventional spring assembly, in turn the pay load of the vehicle increases.
- In parabolic spring the eye thickness is increased as compared to conventional spring, which reduces the eye failures in the field.
- Raw material grade used for manufacturing parabolic spring is 50CrV4/SUP 11A which has higher strength as compared to 65Si7/SUP 9A used in conventional spring.
- Centre lines are used in parabolic assembly to avoid friction, water and mud blockage between the leaves which is not the case in conventional assembly.
- In order to improve fatigue life, parabolic springs are stress shot peened in controlled manner in comparison to conventional springs which are shot peened.
- Henkel coating for better surface protection is done in parabolic springs compared to black oxide coat in conventional springs.
- Load carrying capacity in case of parabolic spring assembly with addition of one parabolic aux leaf is leaf is equal to the addition of three leaves of conventional springs.
| || |